Have you been expecting afrom the first round of relief payments, but it never showed up? The IRS has already sent the bulk of its stimulus checks to eligible Americans and although payments will continue to be sent through the end of the year, you’re worried there could be a problem with yours.
The Get My Payment app should give you your payment status, identify any issues that could have delayed CARES Act. Read on to learn what kind of information you should have by your side as you use Get My Payment, and what to expect, including what happens if an error message pops up., and show you how much money you’re supposed to receive under the
Since the IRS is knee-deep inand season, we suggest using Get My Payment before you .
After you know your check is definitely coming, you can sign up for the US Postal Service’s, which sends you a picture of your mail when it’s processed at the post office and lets you follow its progress to your mailbox. More on that below.
We’ve also got the latest on a second stimulus check , including and .
How to track your stimulus check’s status and arrival
Note that when the tool first debuted, some people. Since then, the IRS said it has significantly improved the Get My Payment app to help you set up and track the date of your stimulus payment.
1. Head to the IRS’ Get My Payment page and tap the blue Get My Payment button to check the status of your economic impact payment.
2. On the next page about authorized use, tap OK.
3. Now on the Get My Payment page, enter your SSN or ITIN, your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code. Tap Continue.
On the next page, the portal will show your payment status, whether it’s been scheduled or if the service can’t yet determine your status.
What to know about using the Get My Payment tool
- You’ll need to input your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) along with your date of birth, street address and postal code.
- The IRS is sending payments on a schedule. Think of it as batches of payments that get sent at once, rather than individually. The Get My Payment tool can ballpark your scheduled date.
- The IRS updates its status tracking information once a day.
- The tool may require you to enter your details in a specific way.
- You should receive a letter about 15 days after the IRS issues your payment, with information on the amount you received and how you received it.
After using the IRS tracker, you could also sign up for a free service from the post office that tells you.
How to deal with an error message
You may see confusing messages when using the status tool — so much so that the IRS explains common status messages in an FAQ. You may get a message if it’s impossible to determine your eligibility, for example, or your payment status is not available. Here are some initial status, though the IRS has since said it’s improved its tool. In some cases, you may prefer .
Find out if your check is in the mail
The IRS deadline topassed on May 13. If you didn’t set up your account, you’ll most likely get your check in the mail.
While most people will receive a paper check, the Treasury Department said 4 million people will get an Economic Impact Payment, or EIP, prepaid debit card instead (and as of the first week of June, it said these payments have been made). We’ve asked the US Treasury to clarify who gets a check and who gets a debit card.
Try this handy USPS mail-tracking service
If you’re waiting for your Informed Delivery, the mail-tracking service automatically scans your letters and can alert you when they’ll be delivered. Here’s more on to track your payment.to arrive in the mail — either as a paper check or a prepaid debit card — the US Postal Service has a free app that can notify you when it’s about to deliver your letter from the IRS. Called
How to know when your stimulus check is really coming
There’s the method above, but also keep an eye out for an official letter that the IRS will mail to a taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after sending the payment. The letter will contain information on when and how the payment was made and how to report to the IRS if you didn’t receive your check.
For more information, here’s everything to know about a second stimulus check, including when theand .